Saturday, March 17, 2012

Luck of the Irish



So I had been talking to my mom about how Jack hasn't really showed any signs of separation or stranger anxiety, which I guess they're supposed to around now. So of course, delightful cousin Caolan comes over today to watch Jack while I have to go into work (bummer) and he takes one look at her and starts wailing. Awesome. Perfect timing, little man. Luckily, he came around (especially after Caolan began feeding him - he IS a Farrell after all) and had a lovely time for himself hanging out.

In other news, Jack is officially crawling (mostly) As I'm sure I wrote, he has been doing the backwards scoot for a while now but on Friday he finally managed some forward movement. It's still not very impressive, but it's getting better every day and between rolling, scooting, and this amateur crawl, he's getting around pretty well. God help me. Nothing in my apt is childproofed.

Jack and I took a Gymboree class last weekend and while it was a little crazed (the class started late so I think the instructor was kind of rushing through everything), Jack seemed to really dig it. Makes me feel bad that our Music Together class was cancelled - we'll have to sign up for something in April; swimming? music? something else? I've been told by several people that swimming is the way to go - any thoughts?

Other than crawling, not much to report. Jack's still eating like a pro - I made a beef stew this week that he seems to be loving, which is great since he hasn't been a big meat eater up till now. I'm trying to vary the diet as much as I can, but it's tough to mix it up too much. He needs to eat more green vegetables, but he HATES peas, mildly tolerates green beans, and I haven't tried anything else. Spinach seems a little bitter, broccoli seems like maybe it's weird consistency? brussel sprouts? kale? My problem is that I'm not a big green vegetable eater myself, so it's challenging to force myself to make it...

I tried to upload a video of Jack's first crawling action, but it didn't happen. Here's a link to where I posted it on YouTube:      Jack Crawling



As ever, some pictures,

Heading out to enjoy the summer-like weather earlier this week


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cat, Karima and I started swimming lessons last week. It's great and I recommend it. The hardest part is afterwards, trying to shower and change her for the trip home. We only live a few blocks from the pool, but it's still not warm enough for me to want to take her home wet. So I have to try and change her and me, the first time I took a stroller in the changing room with me, which worked so i'd have a place to put her while I changed (she was still not a great sitter). But I felt like I was the only one who had a stroller in the little changing room. Anyhoot, this time I took my mom. Much simpler. So you'll have to figure that part out. But the time in the water is great fun. and it tires her out big time so we come home to a nice nap. together!!

    keep the photos coming. love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has such a beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. first of all...Im so proud of Jack for crawling! his cousin, albeit 2months behind, is neither sitting on his own or scooting around. he's still in "blob" stage. Im looking forward to the next 3 months! and while my Jack continues to nap great..nights?..who knows. every night is different. as he turned 6 months last week we are in "cry it out" mode...remember when you told me 7 minutes?? well...3 hours here. nice! thank god its my last!

    I did swimming with mackenzie and she loved it. all of my kids have loved the water - and I agree-- knocks them out cold. music together is awesome. but dont worry -- its even better when they can walk around, "dance" and interact a little more. garrett and rowan and I did gymboree and the kids really loved it. I think that its fun for them to see other kids and play on new things. again, as soon as he starts climbing -- perfect. hope to see you guys soon!!

    ReplyDelete