Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hormones!

So it's kind of a big cliche that pregnant women are super hormonal and can leap to the edges of the emotional spectrum with little to no provocation, but I have to say for the most part that I thought I was on a fairly even keel, emotionally, during my pregnancy and I don't think I was any more prone to wild mood swings than I normally am (for what that's worth). Now however, I have turned into a hair-trigger of weepiness. I was flipping through the tv stations and caught about 10 minutes of Cast Away - of course it was the 10 minutes where Wilson gets swept off the raft and Tom Hanks has to let him go - and I was literally bawling and had to change the channel. You might think, well sure, who doesn't cry when Wilson floats away, but it gets worse. I then proceeded to cry at a Family Ties episode where Alex was graduating from high school; the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Sean Connery calls him Indiana and tells him to let the grail go; and a Wonder Years episode where the dad has to come to terms with the daughter growing up and moving out. Pathetic. I don't really think of myself as a big cryer, so these bouts of teariness are disconcerting to say the least. I will go back to normal, right??

Went to the doctor again yesterday, mostly for a weight check to make sure he was back up to his birth weight. Turns out the little eating machine actually gained a POUND this week and has shot past his birth weight to 9 lbs, 12 oz. Even the doctor was a little shocked at the massive jump. Just like when we brought Black Dog to the vet and they gave my mom the pamphlet on dog gluttony, I keep waiting for the doc to pull out the infant gluttony handout, but she assured me that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby and that I should continue to indulge his overzealous eating.

In other news, my mom left on Sunday to return to RI. She's been here since the day before he was born, so she's had a hell of a two week stint here. I can honestly say that I don't think I would have gotten through the last 2 weeks without her, and I'm so glad she was here to welcome Jack into the world and get to know him in his first days. While I was still pregnant, I was talking with a friend of mine who already has kids about their relationship with their parents and how it change when there's grandchildren in the picture and she said something about how her mother drives her crazy and they have all kinds of issues but that no one will ever love her son the way his grandmother does. And I think that after seeing my mom with Jack, I totally agree. Needless to say, I had a big sobbing bout after she left. Jack didn't even notice, he ate the entire time Mommy was blubbering away.

4 comments:

  1. what cute photos! I like that you have managed to compare your infant son to black dog. You might be a crying mess, but you still got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the pic of you and Jack together! Something tells me that some of the mood swings may have a little to do with a little lack of sleep on your part...I can't believe you gave up your Mom after only two weeks. I fully intend to kidnap mine for at least 6...and then follow that visit up with one from my Mother-in-Law for as long as she dares. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you made me cry!! i love grammas!! good luck on your own....although it must be nice to know you've got the feeding thing down. feed him, love him, clean him....what else is there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ca - when W. was a few days old, I was stumbling around the house with swollen eyes, palms upturned, whispering between sobs: "My life is celestial now." That has ended : ) Things will even out.

    ReplyDelete