The sleeping is going well. We're settled in to a 7-ish to 7-ish sleep schedule which he's been pretty consistent about. We occasionally still have the early waking, but I try to be vigilant about not feeding until 7am and it's working pretty well. I've also cut down to 4 feedings a day, every 4 hours. He didn't blink an eye at that change, which makes me think we probably should have done it weeks ago, but whatever.
Naps are still wildly inconsistent. I try and put him down at the same time every day and even if he wakes up early, I let him hang out in his crib for the duration of the "nap" but he's still dog-tired by the end of the day and it's a fight to stay awake til bedtime. But we'll keep working on that...
Jack got his first cold last week, which wasn't too bad until I caught it too. Wow does being sick when you've got a sick baby to take care of really suck. He was all thrown off schedule and I'm not quite cold-hearted enough to stick to the no-feeding plan when the kid wakes himself up at 3:45 in the morning with a coughing jag and then lays there for a half hour pitifully crying and coughing, so needless to say we were off our game for a few days. But we're both on the mend and seem to be feeling better.
Solid food has officially begun! After the last couple weeks of attempts (to have the food literally spit back at me), Jack seems to be accepting the non-breast-milk sustenance. So far, he seems to prefer sweet potatoes and squash (and yogurt), which works for me.
Another question for the experienced moms (whose advice was AWESOME regarding the sleep problems - thanks!!): how do you "teach" the kid to drink from a cup, or to drink water out of something? Not that I'm in any hurry, but I have made a half-hearted attempt with water in a sippy cup and there was just no having it. Do you put water in a bottle? Use one of those straw cup things? Is it too early to even think about water?
Anyway, I had a birthday this week. 34. Jack gave me the lovely gift of waking up at 3:30am for the first time since he got over his cold. Thank you, son. He was back to sleep by 4:20 but I laid there until 5:30, so that was a delightful way to start my 35th year :-)
My friend asked me the other day if I felt like a mom yet. That morning at 4am listening to my baby crying on the baby monitor - yes, I did. But there are other times when I forget for a few minutes - on the subway, in a work meeting, even just getting a coffee when he's back at home. So I don't know if I feel like a mom. I mean, I AM a mom. I get that. But that doesn't mean I feel like one. Or maybe this is what it feels like?
Anyway, here's a bath series with various setting on the always delightful Hipstamatic app on my phone:
way to go momma!! happy (belated) birthday! for some reason I thought it was the 30th.
ReplyDeletefirst of all, CONGRATULATIONS on 7-7.thats a huge milestone. see what I mean when I say that I would give birth to a 6 month old? all of a sudden the world realigns - the baby sleeps, he eats, hes fun to be around...the middle of the night hard stuff is less frequent...you;re rested and enjoying being a mom (which for the record feels the same no matter how many kids you have - the annoying times are just more so, the sleep disruptions more so and the need for a few stolen moments of peace...more so)
maybe your jack can teach his cousin jack how to sleep :) we were so good, consistently 7-3-7 with a nuk plug here or there and then he hit 4 months and bam! not sleeping...some nights better than others, but overall, terrible. I starting sleep training last night and decided that if he lost his nuk (which he would in about 20 sec or less) I would not replug. he had to figure out to self soothe...I know that you had a rough time in the beginning with jack henry but catherine....7 minutes?! Im talking 2 hours of screaming bloody murder and me going in every 15 minutes from 3-5am. lovely. in the end, I determined that 2 hours was long enough...on to night 2 tonight. fingers crossed for better luck. Im determined to get this kid back on track. Ill get up once to feed him, but thats it.
hes such a big boy sitting up in the tub! it goes by so quickly...before you know it he will be potty training. enjoy it. you're doing an amazing job. hope to see you soon!! xo
oh! and water...he can totally have water and/or diluted juice between meals. give a few oz in the bottle. pretty soon he will start holding the bottle on his own (sigh. I know) and then you can introduce a sippy cup. once they get the idea down that they have to tip it up, they;re golden. more like 9-12 months.
ReplyDeleteSounds like things are great Catherine! Very nice work on the mommy front :-) Those pictures are adorable too. He looks like one happy baby!
ReplyDelete